Ants In Florida: A Guide To Keeping Them Out of Your House
December 25, 2022
You are probably no stranger to ants if you live in Florida. These pesky insects can be a real nuisance, and they always seem to find their way into homes. The good news is that there are steps you can take to keep them out. However, ridding your home of them permanently is a daunting task.
If you're having trouble with ant control, or if you just don't have the time to do it yourself, pest control in Tampa from Urbanex can help. We'll be able to help you eradicate an ant problem for good.
Characteristics Of Common Ants
There are many common ant species that can be found in today’s homes and gardens. A few of the damage-causing ant types that are most common in Florida are:
- Carpenter ants: Carpenter ants are dark-colored and are larger than most ants. They build nests in wooded structures and live in colonies of about 3,000 workers.
- Red imported fire ants: Red fire ants are much larger ants that are red or orange in color. They are very aggressive and will sting or bite if they feel threatened. These ants typically live in colonies that number up to 100,000.
- Argentine ants: Argentine ants are small, brown ants that are not aggressive but will bite if provoked. Argentine ants typically live in colonies of up to 10,000 individuals.
Keep a vigilant eye out for these and other species that might be found in Florida homes.
The Problems An Ant Infestation Can Cause In Your Home
One of the most common problems caused by ant infestations is the contamination of food. If they find their way into a pantry or kitchen, they can contaminate food supplies. This can lead to illness, especially in young children, the elderly, and those with a weakened immune system.
Another problem caused by ant infestations is that of property damage. Some ant species are known for damaging wood structures, such as homes and even furniture. This damage can be costly to repair and may also require the replacement of the affected items.
Ant infestations can also be a nuisance due to the sheer number of ants that can be present. These insects can invade a home en masse, making it difficult to control the situation. In some cases, the invasion can become so severe that you will require the services of a professional pest control company to provide ant control in your house.
Six Simple Yet Effective Ant Prevention Tips
The following ant prevention tips can help keep these tiny pests out of your home:
- Keep food items stored in airtight containers.
- Wipe down counters after every meal and do not leave any crumbs behind.
- Store garbage in sealed containers.
- Be sure to keep your home clean by vacuuming regularly and wiping down surfaces.
- Seal up any cracks or holes that ants could potentially use to get inside your abode.
- Eliminate leaks, drips, or other sources of moisture.
Following these tips is a good start to achieving effective ant control in your home. However, it may not result in a permanent solution, which is where the professionals come in.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Ants In Your House
Urbanex is the best way to eliminate ants in your home for good. Our ant pest control professionals are experienced and knowledgeable in getting rid of these pests quickly and efficiently. We use only the latest and most effective ant control solutions available on the market today to ensure that your home is always ant-free.
If you have an annoying and ongoing ant or pest problem, contact us today to schedule a free consultation and evaluation.