What are ants?
One of the most common and dreaded household insects is the ant. Ants are social creatures that live together in large colonies with multiple nesting sites. Even though individually they are tiny creatures, they are difficult to control and even harder to eradicate when they work together as a group! There are around a thousand species of ants living in the United States, with a handful considered household pests that have learned the benefits of living and foraging for food in and around homes and businesses.
- Odorous house ants
- Fire ants
- Argentine ants
- Carpenter ants
Are ants dangerous?
A single ant colony can have more than a million members and multiple nesting sites. Finding and eliminating all ant nesting sites from your property is not an easy task! The difficulty in eliminating a colony from your property is one reason why these pests are dangerous.
Below are some other reasons to stop these insects from feeling at home on your property:
- Ants contaminate food and surfaces with bacteria that they carry on their body and legs.
- Carpenter ants cause structural damage to houses after invading its structural wood to nest.
- Fire ants bite and sting people and pets. Their venom is strong enough to trigger (sometimes life-threatening) allergic reactions.
Why do I have an ant problem?
If your property offers ants with multiple areas to forage for food, ants will target it. Worker ants leave a pheromone trail to alert other ants in the colony of the food source.
Once on your property, it is common for ants to move inside in search of food. Moisture is another attractant for most species of ants. Things like clogged gutters, leaky pipes, and foundation damage cause moisture to build up both in and around your home.
After ants find their way into a home or other structure, it is common for them to create a satellite nest. This additional nest site helps them expand their colony in a temperature-controlled environment with reliable food sources.
Where will I find ants?
Ants are not shy and will make their presence very well-known to homeowners. They nest inside our homes in hard to reach areas like behind walls, below floors, and above ceilings, leaving the nest each day to forage for food.
The following areas are where homeowners are most likely to see ants:
- Walkways and driveways
- Lawns and gardens
- Decks and porches
- Kitchens, bathrooms, and basements
- Areas under sinks and around hot water pipes
How do I get rid of ants in FL, KY, MA, OK, TN & TX?
Urbanex is the best choice to get rid of ants from your property. We offer our customers peace of mind knowing that problems with nuisance or dangerous pests will be solved and they won’t return. At Urbanex, we offer modern and effective pest control services that provide maximum results. To learn why so many home and business owners trust us with their pest control needs, reach out to us today!
How can I prevent ants in the future?
Prevent problems with ants with the help of the experts at Urbanex. In addition, use the following ant prevention tips:
- If any structural wood located inside or outside your house becomes damaged by water, replace it.
- Repair cracks in your foundation and block spaces around windows and doors.
- Fix any damage to your roofline.
- Remove potential nesting sites from your property like fallen trees, tree stumps, woodpiles, leaf piles, and other debris.
- Routinely look in cabinets and under sinks to check for leaking pipes.
- Keep lids on trash cans, recycling bins, and compost bins to keep ants out.
- After eating outside, clean up leftovers and dispose of sugary drinks.
- Keep floors and counters clean and free of food debris.
- Wash dishes each evening before going to bed.
Request Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.