The Ultimate Guide To Wasp Control: Tips For Keeping Your Dallas Yard Wasp-Free
August 20, 2023
When you think about spending time outside, the thought should make you smile. But when you have a wasp problem on your property, those unwanted stinging insects can leave you wanting to spend more time indoors.
While it’s impossible to prevent all wasps all the time, there are a few things your Dallas pest control team can help you do to keep these insects from setting up residence in your yard. Here’s what you need to know to identify these insects and how you can keep your yard wasp-free.
Wasp Identification Tips: Behaviors To Help You Identify Wasps
Though there are different types of wasps, they tend to behave in similar ways. The main point of confusion that homeowners face is determining whether the stinging insects on their properties are wasps, bees, or another stinging insect.
Here are a few key behaviors that wasps exhibit which are completely unique and unlike other insects:
- Their nests: Many wasp species build nests out of a paper-like material. These nests can be large or small, depending on the number of wasps that are on the property. They often build their nests in trees or along overhangs on roofs.
- Their preferred food: Wasps are, by and large, carnivorous. They can consume nectar from plants but often feed on other insects, making their feeding habits, unlike other common stinging insects.
- Their stings: Unfortunately, wasps can sting repeatedly and don’t lose their stingers after a single sting.
If you notice these behaviors, you likely have wasps on your property. But if you’re still not sure, a wasp removal specialist will be able to determine the type of stinging insect around your home.
Wasp Infestations: Potential Health Risks
Luckily, wasps are not known to carry bacteria or viruses, so you won’t become ill just by having them around. But that doesn’t mean they’re not without risks.
Wasps can sting when provoked, and that sting hurts a lot. After the initial sting, you may notice a red welt or swelling at the site of the injury. However, if you’re sensitive or allergic to wasp venom, you may experience a severe allergic reaction requiring emergency medical treatment.
That’s why it’s essential to let an expert specializing in wasp nest removal in Dallas take care of any infestation or nests you discover on your property.
Effective Wasp-Proofing: Practical Tips To Prevent Wasp Infestations
Though the best way to keep wasps from taking over your yard is to schedule an appointment for professional wasp control in Dallas, you can do a few things to reduce your risk of infestations between treatments. Here are a few proven wasp prevention tips to help:
- Seal any cracks or holes on the outside of your home.
- Fix torn window screens as soon as possible.
- Cover food when eating outdoors.
- Store trash in a designated trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
- Avoid wearing perfume and other scented products when outside.
These easy tips will help keep wasps from building nests on your property.
Expert Wasp Extermination: Swift And Effective Solutions
Of course, the best way to get rid of wasps in Dallas isn’t to find things you can do yourself. It’s working with a professional pest control specialist like the team at Urbanex. Our dedicated wasp removal experts will assess the situation in your yard to identify the type of wasps you have and how many nests they’ve built.
Once we understand the full scope of the problem, we’ll treat your yard and safely remove any active nests so you can enjoy your yard again.
Are you ready to soak up the sun without fear of getting stung? Contact us today to schedule an appointment.