What are wasps?
There are many types of wasps living throughout the United States. Typically brown with yellow or red banding, wasps have a thin, defined waist and long legs that hang from the body when in flight. Wasps usually build nests out of paper-like materials and place them up off of the ground. Having wasps on your property is a frustrating and sometimes frightening experience. If they build a nest in a doorway, it is difficult to enter or leave your home.
Wasps are predators, and when nesting near our homes, they are dangerous. When nesting outside and away from people, the wasps’ predatory feeding habits make them helpful. Wasps prey upon nuisance insects to feed their developing young.
Are wasps dangerous?
Wasps can sting repeatedly, and with each sting they inject more venom into their victim. People allergic to stinging insects, whether stung once or multiple times, can develop a life-threatening reaction and require immediate medical attention. If a person is not allergic to wasp venom, they may still experience swelling for a while around the sting site.
Also, let’s not forget, along with triggering allergic reactions, wasp stings are super painful, so giving these pests a lot of personal space is always best!
Why do I have a wasp problem?
Wasps become problematic when they choose our yards or homes as a place to a nest. During the summer, people have the most problems with wasps because their colonies have grown large, and the workers are out and about foraging for food to feed the developing larvae. Wasps are busy and have little patience. They are likely to deliver a sting as a warning to get out of their way!
While adult wasps sometimes feed on plant nectar, they also like to feed on many of the same foods that we do. This diet causes them to become a problem around trash cans, outdoor eating areas, and outdoor events where food is served.
Where will I find wasps?
Wasps will decide to nest on any property that offers them a sheltered place to build a nest and plenty of food and water sources. Wasps prefer to place their nests out of sight in areas that are hard to access by people and animals.
Some favorite nesting spots include:
- Behind window shutters, shingles, or siding
- Under roof eaves
- In doorways
- Inside play structures
- On the ceiling or on beams of large outbuildings like barns or garages
How do I get rid of wasps?
Urbanex is the best choice to get rid of wasps from your property. We offer our customers peace of mind knowing that problems with nuisance or dangerous pests will be solved and won’t return. At Urbanex, we offer modern and effective pest control services that provide maximum results. To learn why so many home and business owners trust us with their pest control needs, reach out to us today!
How can I prevent wasps in the future?
Prevent problems in the future with wasps with the help of the experts at Urbanex. In addition, use the following wasp prevention tips:
- Make sure outdoor trash cans and compost bins have tight-fitting lids to keep wasps from foraging for food in them.
- When eating outdoors, make sure leftover food is quickly put away. Keep covers on drinks when consuming them outside.
- Eliminate water sources by fixing leaky pipes and fixtures. Do not overwater gardens.
- Place caps on chimneys, install weatherstripping around windows and doors, repair holes along the roofline, and replace damaged screens to keep wasps out of your house.
- Regularly inspect outdoor play structures to ensure wasps haven’t decided to nest in them, putting your children in danger.
- Keep the garage and shed doors closed whenever possible.
Request Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.