What are rodents?
Rodents are prolific problematic pests that make their way into our homes and businesses and quickly take them over. While rodents are shy by nature, they aren't shy about taking advantage of the easy access to food and shelter our yards and homes provide.
A type of mammal, rodents are set apart from other animals because of their front incisors that constantly grow throughout their lives. In order to stop them from overgrowing, rodents gnaw on any object they come across. In our homes, this habit makes rodents very destructive. Wires, pipes, drywall, flooring, siding, and other structural elements are easy targets for a rodent's sharp front incisors.
Two of the most common types of rodents that people deal with regularly are the small mouse and the larger rat. The most common in our area include:
- Roof rats
- Norway rats
Are rodents dangerous in AL, GA, FL, KY, MA, OK, TN, & TX?
Rodents carry and transmit a variety of diseases that make people ill. Also, they contaminate any food they come into contact with. For these reasons and others, rodents are dangerous and should not live on our properties. The presence of rodents in your home can also trigger allergies or asthma attacks in those susceptible. Also, the holes that rodents chew to access your house allow other pests to get inside.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
Because they provide a source of food, water, and shelter, our homes and businesses are places that mice, rats, and other rodents cannot resist. Rodents are happy to take advantage of things we leave around that they can use to nest in or food we leave out for them to eat.
Common rodent attractants include:
- Trash cans and recycling bins
- Compost areas
- Overgrown shrubs and bushes
- Fallen trees or tree stumps
- Pet food or bird feeders
- Outdoor eating areas
- Dripping outdoor fixtures
Where will I find rodents?
Rodents live outside all around us; whether your home or business is in the city, suburbs, or country, it is susceptible to invading rodents. Rodents are nocturnal animals and stay hidden and out of sight during the day. These pests are active year-round and can find their way into our structures any time they are looking to escape harsh weather or search for food.
Inside, rodents nest in various locations with the most desirable real estate being near food sources. Spaces behind walls, under floors, in attics, and basements are a few of a rodent's favorite places to nest. Other nesting spots include behind large appliances, inside of cabinets, or in closets or storage boxes.
How do I get rid of rodents?
Urbanex is the best choice to get rid of rodents from your property. We offer our customers peace of mind knowing that problems with nuisance or dangerous pests will be solved and they won't return. At Urbanex, we offer modern and effective pest control services that provide maximum results. To learn why so many home and business owners trust us with their pest control needs, reach out to us today!
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
Prevent problems in the future with rodents with the help of the experts at Urbanex. In addition, use the following rodent prevention tips:
- Keep storage areas like basements, closets, and attics organized and free of the excess clutter that rodents can hide.
- Store items in your home inside of plastic totes with locking lids instead of flimsy, easy to chew cardboard boxes.
- Block entry points into your home. Seal cracks and reviews in exterior walls, caulk gaps in the foundation, fill-in spaces around utilities, and place covers over vents.
- Place caps on chimneys.
- Make sure to place weather seals under and around exterior doors, sliding glass doors, and garage doors.
- Keep garage, sheds, and other outbuilding doors shut whenever possible.
- Keep trash cans, compost bins, and recycling bins away from the outside of your home and place tight-fitting lids on them.
Request Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.