The Problem With Having Cockroaches In Your Nashville Home
October 16, 2020
Cockroaches are pests that have a really bad reputation, and this is for good reason. They are known to be one of the more invasive and unsanitary pests commonly found in Nashville homes, but even with this reputation, not everyone realizes just how dangerous they can be.
Cockroaches are harmful to human health because they can carry and spread many pathogens and diseases. In fact, they’ve been known to transmit about 35 different illnesses, and some of these can be serious including salmonella and E.coli.
The reason that cockroaches are so unclean is because of where they hang out. Cockroaches are often found in places such as sewers and garbage where they can easily pick up germs and then spread these germs once they get indoors.
Another thing you might not realize about cockroaches is that there are many different species, but in Nashville, there are three that are most common. They are:
- The American cockroach: This is one of the most common cockroaches in the area and also the largest. They are reddish-brown and can get up to three inches long.
- The German cockroach: This species is slightly smaller than the American cockroach and is usually tan to dark brown in color. They have two parallel stripes that run behind their heads.
- The Oriental cockroach: These cockroaches look different from the previous two because of their jet black color that makes them look similar to beetles.
What Attracts Cockroaches To Your Home?
For cockroaches to thrive, first of all, they need to have access to food sources. They will eat a variety of things from human food to books and even hair. They are often found in kitchens where they can easily get into cupboards and fridges.
Secondly, they need a moisture-rich environment which is why they are also commonly found in bathrooms. So, houses that have issues with humidity are often appealing to cockroaches.
The main reason cockroaches come inside is simply to look for food, and because they are omnivores, they aren’t too picky about what they will eat. However, factors like food spills, overflowing garbage, and unclean kitchens can make a home even more attractive to cockroaches.
The Many Risks Cockroaches Pose
The most obvious and worst problem cockroaches can cause is illness including severe diseases like typhus in rare cases. While not all cockroaches are going to make you sick, there is a very real risk of cockroaches spreading a host of diseases that can impact you and your family.
Plus, cockroaches can also cause the following problems:
- They contaminate food, so any food they touch will need to be thrown away.
- They also contaminate any surfaces they touch, so these areas will need to be cleaned and sanitized.
- They can cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
- They can cause a small amount of property damage to things like books and papers.
And, on top of all of these problems, cockroaches are also rather invasive and difficult to remove because they are resistant to many pesticides.
What To Do If You See Signs Of Cockroaches
Once you’ve seen signs of cockroaches, or if you even worry that you could have an infestation, the best way to protect your Nashville home is to contact the experts at Urbanex Pest Control. We are a Better Business Bureau accredited business that provides high-quality residential and commercial cockroach control to the area. Because cockroaches can spread so many severe illnesses, we will get rid of any current infestations and keep cockroaches from returning. This will assure safety to you and your family. To learn more, give us a call today.