Five Sure Signs Of Bed Bugs In Your Oklahoma City Home
September 9, 2020
Bed bugs pests that many people dread encountering in their Oklahoma City home, and this marks sense given how disgusting bed bugs are. While you likely know that bed bugs are commonly found in mattresses, you might not realize how they get around and how they end up in homes.
Simply put, bed bugs are bloodsucking hitchhikers that catch rides on things like clothing, purses, luggage, and furniture. They are often picked up in places like buses, laundromats, and hotels. They can also be brought in on second-hand items like clothing and furniture.
There are many misconceptions surrounding bed bugs, but one of the most common is that they are too small to be seen with the naked eye. While it's true that bed bugs are tiny, they aren’t invisible. You can see them if you know what to look for.
- Bed bugs are a reddish-brown color.
- They have oval-shaped bodies with a ribbed appearance.
- Their heads are small in proportion to their bodies.
- They only get to be about the size of an apple seed.
- Their bodies are flat except after they’ve had a blood meal.
The First Sign Of An Infestation: Bed Bug Bites
While it’s true that you can see bed bugs, most of the time people don’t go looking for them until they’ve noticed bite marks. This is why getting bitten is usually the first sign of an infestation. You’re not very likely to notice being bitten while you’re asleep, but in the morning, the bites may show up. Here is what bed bug bites look like:
- They usually have either a clear or dark center.
- They are often itchy.
- They can be found anywhere on your body where your skin is exposed while asleep.
- They usually show up in zig-zag patterns or lines.
- They are red and can get inflamed.
More Signs Of Bed Bug Infestations
Another misconception about bed bugs is that they are only found in mattresses, but this isn’t the case. While this is a common hiding spot as it gives bed bugs easy access to their food source, they can also hide in furniture and even in cracks in walls. So, you should also be aware of this when looking for signs of bed bugs around your Oklahoma City home. Here are the other main signs of bed bug problems.
- Seeing small blood stains on sheets and mattresses
- Noting the appearance of rusty marks on sheets, curtains, mattresses, and even walls.
- Noticing small brown marks on the seams of your mattress.
- Finding small, cream-colored eggshells around your bedroom.
- Discovering discarded bed bug skins around your bed or walls.
How To Keep Bed Bugs Out Of Your Home
Because bed bugs are difficult pests to prevent and remove, trying to handle them on your own isn’t a good idea. If you’ve seen signs of bed bugs around your Oklahoma City property, the only guaranteed way to remove them is to work with the professionals at Urbanex. We can also provide prevention assistance. Find out more, or get a free inspection, by calling us today. We are happy to help and protect you and your family from bed bugs and other dangerous pests.